Monday, February 19, 2007

NINE HAIKU FOR DAD'S SPIRIT

















now your days are spent

sitting at my side staring
believing your eyes

I write you poems
rivers you never sat by
so the tears won't flow

over the rainbow
is not the place you went to
spirit world's a door

writing in Spanish
childhood's other mother tongue
I don't speak N'dn

en las cantinas
pasabas muchas noches
perdido joven

(in the corner bars
you would spend many a night
there you lost your youth)

the last time we talked
I'd lost my voice to the cold
you got the message

did you go away
just so you could be near me
crying in my ears

raro el dia
nubes negras el cielo
yo lloro el sol

(the day, a rare one
black clouds make up the sky
I cry for the sun)

espejo, claro
que ves en tu ventana
la infinidad

(the looking glass, clear
what do you see through your window
infinity)

love, light and progress!


© Odilia Galván Rodríguez, February/2007

The Yucatan Penninsula, Mexico

No comments: